DIRECTORATE OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT)
The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) revolution is sweeping through the world today, developing countries are gradually becoming developed by deploying the numerous ICT resources, Akwa Ibom State College of Education has since joined the trend. The Directorate of Information and Communication Technology (DICT) in AKSCOE was established in 2017 with the aim of piloting, developing and the realizing the ICT Strategic plans of the College. Staff of the Directorate participate and represent the College in all vital ICT initiatives. The Directorate maintains the College Management Information System (MIS).
The Directorate of Information and Communication Technology is saddled with responsibility of improving the ICT-compliance levels of staff and students of the College by providing efficient, reliable and affordable ICT services; and also providing consultancy resources to private enterprises. The directorate is mandated to provide IT standards, strategies, guidelines and policies for the development of the College.
To enable increase ICT-compliance levels of all the stakeholders of Akwa Ibom State College of Education by providing efficient, reliable and affordable ICT tools and services. To achieve a complete transition from manual data processing to electronic data processing.
Our mission is to provide world class ICT resources and services for the various sections of the College; to create an environment that would expose students and staff to the knowledge and uses of information and communication technology applications and methods for learning, teaching and researching.
Responsibilities of the Directorate of ICT
- Provide viable electronic broadcasting, podcasting and social network platforms for the College and provide an enhanced and expanded telecommunication services to meet the growing needs of departments and units in the College.
- Encourage and increase investments and growths in ICT hardware, software, internet, training and ICT enabling services by negotiating and managing College wide agreements for quality IT products and services, to reduce the cost and increase the value of these services.
- Build data-bases and databanks for effective administration in the College, by managing consolidated data centre services, implementing and managing shared services.
- Promote cyber and network security through the development of a College-wide Network and Security Operations Centre.
- Provide modern and effective platforms for academic operations.
- Facilitate the development of sectoral ICT policies and strategies by mapping and providing selective standard efforts that are guided by clear vision and goals to make policy-making more focused, effective and user driven.
- Develop and implement adequate ICT infrastructure in the College to promote innovative use of Information Technology that adds value and reduces the gaps relating to teaching, learning, research, and human resource development.
- Foster and encourage the use of ICT to promote and improve the quality of learning, teaching, research and human resource development.
- Digitize all administrative processes and secure digital archives so that authorized personnel can have access to them through efficient network services.
- Organize series of low cost professional computer training programmes to bridge the digital gap between computer knowledge and practices, thereby improving the competitive skill of participants in this ICT driven economy through the Computer Training Academy (CTA).
The Akwa Ibom State College of Education Information and Communication Technology Directorate is headed by the Director of ICT, presently, Mrs. Victoria Anthony Uwah, a Senior Lecturer with M.Sc degree in Computer Science and is currently running a Ph.D degree programme in Computer Science. She oversees both administrative and technical functions of the Directorate. She reports directly to the Provost of the College.
The directorate is made up of five departments, each functioning with peculiar responsibilities of ensuring that the ICT policies turn into actions and reality. A structure is formulated and implemented to achieve the goals and objectives of the Directorate. The structures are implemented directly by the creation of the following departments whose responsibilities are given below:
Portal and ICT Networks Department
- Establishing and administering of functional and reliable computer networks and internet connectivity for the college.
- Implementing, coordinating, and managing a standard portal that will enhance access to research and development.
- Managing and servicing the College network, install and maintain all networks on campus.
- Provide computer and network security systems.
- Undertake installation and monitoring of all network equipment.
- Provide operational support and management of a campus wide network and the College website and portal.
- Implementing, maintaining, upgrading and expanding the existing IT network facilities.
- Providing operational support and management of networks
- To undertake installation and monitor basic maintenance of network equipment.
- To design, install and update software required for these processes
- To implement and manage web and portal infrastructure.
- To provide technological support and help to Network users
- Monitoring and reporting progress and network status to the director.
- Setting up, maintaining communication infrastructure and relevant services.
Computer Training Academy (CTA) / E-Learning Resources Department
- Organize and develop training manuals, reference library, testing and evaluation procedures, multimedia visual aids and other educational materials.
- Train assigned instructors and supervisory personal in effective techniques for training; such as new employee orientation, in-service training, health and safety practices, management development and changes in procedures and technologies.
- Coordinate training with outside agencies and process any paperwork for billing outside agencies as needed.
- Provide training for staff and students.
- Monitor the progress of e-learning productions.
- Manage and maintain the learning and information resources and materials.
- Implement and manage ICT audio visual equipment and e-learning resources.
- Facilitate effective e-learning process through maintenance of learning environments and e-learning resources.
Digital Archiving & Database Administration Department
- Information Systems management and control.
- Maintain Data Integrity and Information Security.
- Provide management with relevant statistics and information critical to successful management of the College system by maintaining relevant databases.
- Collate, store, secure, analyze and provide retrieval platforms for the college’s information for administrative and research processes.
- Design data capture formats
- Maintain a central Human Resources Data Bank of the College. Assist the College to put in place effective management information network to enhance their managerial capacity.
- Downloading and transferring (the already captured) information/data through the college’s networks to the departmental and central Data Bank at the registry.
- Provide classified management information to authorized officers through electronic linkage or as hard copies.
Information and Broadcasting Department
- To organize and/or co-operate with other departments of the College or organizations in hosting programmes or popular social conferences and debates that contribute to the social awareness of our people.
- To open a central video hall, under the care of the archivist, to serve the needs of the numerous student communities, if it becomes expedient in the future.
- To make its studios available for humanitarian groups for public service uses, thus giving a voice to the voiceless for the sake of academic excellence and for human development.
- To provide TV programmes and DVDs for institutional and home use, and for syndication with television stations in Nigeria and other parts of Africa.
- To help direct itself towards the production of programmes for campus clubs, ethical and religious discussion groups, and symposia concerned with critical issues of the day.
- To provide running of in-house studios with production and post-production facilities engaged in the production of lectures of staff, for hoisting- onto the EduPortal framework and CD-ROMS for circulation.
Virtual Library & Research Laboratory Department
- Maintaining regular conduct with departments and library liaisons.
- Keeps regular and very close coordination with other sections in the college libraries.
- Manages the digital assets and digital collections of all the sections of the college library.
- Designs and develops a technical infrastructure for the College repository and supports the management digitization process, preservation and appropriate storage and retrieval of digital collections at the college.
- Identifies and selects library materials and collections to be digitized.
- Identifies and manages links to electronic resources including the discovery of search engines and other database services.
- Takes the lead role in creating guides, market electronic resources and provide the necessary user support to enhance the remote discovery of information.