The Counselling Centre of the Collage of Education, Afaha Nsit, Nsit Ibom Local Government Area came into existence in the year 2005 to assist students in choosing career, selection of subject proper placement and good study habit. The Centre is meant to assist the student also in fulfilling their physiological needs, understanding themselves and developing associations with peers, balancing between permissiveness and controls in the school setting, realizing successful achievement, and providing opportunity to gain independence.
- To help students solve their personal and academic challenges
- The Centre helps student identify and develop their potentialities
- The Centre contribute to the development of the School’s Curriculum
- The Centre helps in developing and maintaining a co-operative relationship between students and the school
- The Centre also offers and build a relationship of trust and respect with clients
- Listening to client’s concerns, empathizing with them and helping them to see things more clearly
- Organizing training workshops and seminars on Career and occupational information, study habits, personal-social traits etc.
- Developing ways of improving communication and feedback with stakeholders such as students/staff both academic and non-academic, student/management, and students/parents relationship
- Assisting the students to identify and recognize their interest, values abilities and capacities, skills and positive personality traits and to match these with their chosen careers
- Providing student’s with relevant job information and bridging the gap between them and the job market
- Career choice among students has recorded a measure of improvement with the period of the existence of the centre
- The management can now established a clear rapport with the student community
- Skills development for teachers in classroom management, teaching effectiveness and effective education has been achieved
- Incident of raping, fighting, violence, intimation, truancy and other vices have been on a control measure, due to the technique and skills used in the counselling centre.
OTHER COUNSELLORS IN THE CENTRE
Dr. Stella A. Usen (Unit Head)
Dr. Grace A. Eneh
Dr. Jude Iwok
Dr. Conchi Brown
Dr. Okon Jackson
Dr. Umoinyang Umoinyang